In an effort to give travel enthusiasts an enhanced map navigation experience, Avenza Systems Inc., released the latest version of its popular PDF Maps app. In the version 1.6, this highly successful map and navigation app incorporates enhanced features that, for the most part, stemmed from users’ feedback.
Millions around the globe use the free PDF Maps to explore and navigate maps on their Apple (News - Alert) iOS devices. Unlike other streaming map apps, the PDF Maps app allows users to explore and navigate maps offline without incurring data roaming charges. According to its maker, this geospatial PDF reader is designed to give users the power to interact with geo-referenced PDF maps and images directly from their iOS device with viewing performance levels well above other mobile PDF viewing applications. The latest release is aimed at further improving the user experience for the Apple iOS users.
“The focus of this release is about enhancing existing features and tools to allow our users to experience, navigate, and view maps on Apple iOS devices even better. Many of the optimizations and improvements have stemmed from user feedback. We're listening to our users and creating tools that suit their needs. In the end, we're making a much better product than even we anticipated,” president of Avenza. Ted Florence, noted in a statement.
For travel enthusiasts, PDF Maps is a must-have application. Paired together with mobile devices that utilize GPS, such as an iPhone (News - Alert) or iPad, the PDF Maps app provides constant access to geographic locations and even points of interest without the risk of losing reception due to cell tower proximity.
Included in the new version of PDF Maps are the following features:
- Data collection - You can now create, import, and export attribute schemas with pick lists.
- Improved organization - Add folders to the Map List and the ability to move maps between folders.
- Nearby maps - Maps within 100 km will be shown when panning to the edges of a map.
- Measure Tool optimization - Measure Area and Measure Direction tools are now merged into one tool. There is also a new option to create custom units.
- New coordinate display format - Added the Degree Decimal Minutes format.
- Add placemark optimization - Placemarks can now be added while following your current location.
- GPS mode optimization - GPS mode is more tolerant to movements and allows adding placemarks while following your location.
- Photos taken within the app are now saved to the Camera Roll.
- Improved KML/KMZ file compatibility with Avenza MAPublisher and Esri software.
This free app is currently available on the iTunes App Store.
In other news, Avenza announced the integration of LizardTech GeoExpress 8.5 and the ability to produce MrSID format files into the latest release of Geographic Imager 4.1 for Adobe (News - Alert) Photoshop.
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO Miami 2013, Jan 29- Feb. 1 in Miami, Florida. Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO (News - Alert). Follow us on Twitter.
Edited by Brooke Neuman